In the last five years, the sushi industry has grown 3.3 percent annually and is projected to grow 3.4 percent in the next ten years. While this may not seem like that big of a statistic, this is 1.3 percent higher than the United States is projected to grow in the same period! I think it is safe to say that sushi has made its way into our diets as a staple. However, moving to a new city can bring a challenge to sushi lovers, because you need to be able to trust the restaurant if you’re going to be eating raw fish. Luckily, East Lansing has several options to suit your sushi needs. After eating sushi in East Lansing for three years, here is my ranking of sushi restaurants in the area.
1. Maru: This is by FAR my favorite sushi restaurant in the area. Maru offers many unique rolls and I have always had a great experience. Although they are a bit on the pricier side, their food is high quality. To combat the price, I like to go to their Happy Hour which is 25 percent off signature, specialty, and vegetarian rolls.
2. Sansu: Another great option in East Lansing. There are several types of seating in the restaurant including a traditional Japanese dining section where you take your shoes off and sit on the floor. I think the traditional style seating offered makes Sansu unique. Your sushi also comes with soup and salad which is always a plus!
3. AI Fusion: AI Fusion is a safe sushi choice as well. Although I have only been there twice, I would recommend it. Inside of the restaurant there is a little pond with fish, which I thought was cool! Soup and salad are also included here.
4. Omi: Omi sushi is convenient because of its location. This is one of the few places you can walk to if you live on campus. Omi is pretty pricey for what they offer and doesn’t come with soup and salad. If you are going to spend that much money on sushi it is worth the drive to Sansu or Maru.
5. Sushiya: Formerly, Sushiya used to be one of my go to spots if I wanted sushi fast and fairly inexpensive. Their location is right on Grand River which definitely made it convenient. Last time my friend and I went, the service was subpar and we both got super sick afterward. It could have been a coincidence, but it was bad enough to make me not want to go back.