This perfectly delectable dessert, brimming with caramelized brown sugar, crisp walnuts and a tart apple flavor will melt the winter frost away. Smooth caramel, chocolate or classic cinnamon and sugar fillings are also excellent options to pair with your favorite apple. Make one for a late-night snack or several for friends. The best part is this simple dessert only takes 15 minutes to make. You just need a few ingredients and a microwave. The hardest part of this recipe is deciding what kind of baked apple to make. So pick out a few of your favorite apples and try all the fillings to warm up your chilliest day.
This recipe has been adapted from “Microwave Baked Apples” from KITCHme and “Chocolate-Stuffed Baked Apples” from Love & Flour.
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1 tablespoon raisins (optional)
Inside-Out Caramel Apple
- 4 unwrapped caramel candies or 2 tablespoons
- caramel topping
- 1 chocolate candy bar, chopped
- Remove the core of the apple with a paring knife or a thin-edged spoon, leaving the bottom of the apple intact. If you prefer to skin the apple, skin it carefully with a paring knife once the core has been removed.
- Layer your selected filling options in the center of the apple until it is completely full. If using the classic filling ingredients, mix the cinnamon and brown sugar together before filling and sprinkle a dash of cinnamon on top.
- Place the apple in a deep baking dish or bowl and cover.
- Heat dish in the microwave, until the apple is soft, approximately 2 minutes per apple. Depending upon the size of the apple(s) used, more cooking time may be required. Continue to microwave, and check at 30-second intervals, until the apple reaches desired tenderness.
- Remove baking dish carefully from the microwave and let the apple rest for a minute or two.
- Place the baked apple in a bowl for serving.
You can slice the baked apple before eating or simply dig in with a spoon. Just make sure to serve while the apple is still warm as a solo dessert or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.