Sometimes, eating takes a lot of work. When you’re in between classes and the line at the cafeteria is an hour long, you have to bite the bullet and find something to throw together. Not a lot of people have the time or resources to prepare a full meal in college. This is especially true if you’re limited to the snacks you hide under your bed. With a bit of creativity, that half-empty bottle of milk and decorative mug holding pens can lead the way to becoming a master chef.
The backbone of a college diet usually includes mac and cheese. It’s easy to change up that well known favorite! Here’s how to redo a classic your way, adapted from The View from Great Island blog article “Instant Microwave Macaroni and Cheese.”
MUG MAC AND CHEESE
- ⅓ cup noodles
- ½ cup water
- Shredded cheese
- Milk (optional)
- In a large mug, microwave noodles in water for two minutes at a time.
- Stir occasionally until the water evaporates.
- After the water is evaporated, add the cheese and milk and microwave everything together for 30-60 seconds.
- Stir one last time and dig in!
*Add some broccoli or other veggies while grabbing a combo at the cafeteria.
OMELET IN A MUG
Omelets are fairly easy to create, and everyone wants to have breakfast all day. Adapted from the University of Kentucky blog, wellkentucky.org, here are simple steps to becoming a master chef.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cheese (cheddar recommended)
- Chopped green onion to taste
- 1 cup spinach
- In a large mug, microwave the spinach and a little bit of water for 30 seconds to create some steam.
- Mix in the eggs and milk.
- Stir the mixture.
- Add cheese.
- Microwave for 45 seconds at a time until eggs are cooked.
- Add green onions
- Eat up!
*Try adding other ingredients to make it your own.
ONE MUG BROWNIE
Need more comfort? Got a few extra supplies? Here’s an “Easy Mug Brownie Recipe for One” adapted from frugalcouponliving.com.
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Mix everything together in a large mug, except the chocolate chips.
- Microwave until the mixture becomes firm (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add chocolate chips on top.
- Microwave 15 seconds.
- Bask in chocolate delight.