Looking for a bit of color to help lighten up the dreary weather outside? ing Magazine has just the recipe for you: Key lime pie! A uniquely American dessert, it originated in the West Florida Keys around the late 1800s. A cook named Aunt Sally is reported to have created the original recipe with egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and Key lime juice. While there are other theories to the pie’s origin story, most are happy to give Aunt Sally the credit.
This recipe is the best for anyone working off of a food budget but who still wants to treat themselves to something special. The slightly tart flavor from the Key lime pie is a great way to re-introduce oneself to the coming of warmer weather and certain March traditions of green-hued garb and decorations. Wow your friends and family with this deliciously refreshing treat at your next St. Patrick’s Day party!
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 ½ cups finely ground Graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional for more flavor)
Key Lime Filling
- 3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup Key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix Graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter and cinnamon until well blended in a medium sized bowl. Press the mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake for seven minutes. Remove and cool.
Key Lime Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-8 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie (make sure it doesn’t brown).
- Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.
Yields 8 servings.
Cynthia Bezinque is a senior studying professional writing with a minor in documentary production. When she isn’t working on video production she loves to sew, make stained glass projects and read. Board game nights are a thing in her family.